A Brief History
The area of the Parish of Cromar is some 40,058 acres, and includes the old parishes of Coull, Migvie, Logie Coldstone, and Tarland. Coull Kirk is one of the oldest Christian sites in Aberdeenshire, being founded by St. Nathalan (died 8th January 678) although the present building dates from 1792. Migvie Church was dedicated to St Finian, and prior to the Reformation of 1560 belonged to the Priory of St Andrews. Logie Coldstone Parish was formed in 1618 when Logiemar Church, dedicated to St Wolock, was united with Colquholdstone, or Coldstone, Parish. There has been a Church in Tarland since the 12th century. This was dedicated to St Mathuloch, and up until the time of the Reformation belonged to the Priory of St Andrews. Tarland Parish was united with Migvie Parish in the early 17th century to form the Parish of Tarland and Migvie. The old Parish Church of Tarland was built in 1762 and used for worship until 1870 when the congregation moved the short distance to worship in the current building of St Moluag's Church.
The first service to be held in the newly built St. Moluag's Church took place on 25th August 1870 and was conducted by the Rev. John Stuart of St. Andrew's Church, Edinburgh. In 1889 the front part of the Church was added and the following year the tower block with spire was built on.
As a result of the Disruption of 1843 the churches in Tarland and Logie Coldstone had divided into the Established Church and the Free Church; but in 1940 the South Church (the United Free Church) and the Parish Church in Tarland (St. Moluag's) were united. The United Free Church of the Braes of Cromar closed and united with Logie Coldstone Church at around the same time. In 1945 Migvie Church left Tarland Church to be united to Logie Coldstone Church. In 1951 the Parish of Coull was linked, and in 1975 united, with Tarland Parish. This Parish of Coull and Tarland was then united with the Parish of Logie Coldstone then with the Parish of Migvie in 1984 to become the present widespread Parish of Cromar.
Extracts from The Statistical Accounts of Scotland 1791 - 1845 can be found below -